New Mexico Flag

us Marines Flag Pow/Mia Flag


This Page Is Dedicated To
Robert C. Lopez

Remains ID'd 07/2005

POW Flag

Thanks to Joni's Patriotic Graphics.

  • Name: Robert Charles Lopez
  • Rank/Branch: E2/US Marine Corps
  • Unit: Battery D, 2nd Battalion, 13th Marines, 1st Marine Division
  • Date of Birth: 30 September 1948
  • Home City of Record: Albuquerque NM
  • Date of Loss: 10 May 1968
  • Country of Loss: South Vietnam
  • Loss Coordinates: 152208N 1074540E (YC965009)
  • Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
  • Category: 5
  • Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground
  • Other Personnel in Incident: Ngok Tavak: Horace H. Fleming; Thomas J. Blackman; Joseph F. Cook; Paul S. Czerwonka; Thomas W. Fritsch; Barry L. Hempel; Raymond T. Heyne; Gerald E. King; William D. McGonigle; Donald W. Mitchell; James R. Sargent (members of USMC search team - all missing); Glenn E. Miller; Thomas H. Perry (USSF teammembers - missing); Kham Duc: Richard E. Sands (missing from CH47); Bernard L. Bucher; Frank M. Hepler; George W. Long; John L. McElroy; Stephan C. Moreland (USAF crew of C130 - all missing); Warren R. Orr (USSF on C130 - missing); Harry B. Coen; Andrew J. Craven; Juan M. Jimenez; Frederick J. Ransbottom; Maurice H. Moore; Joseph L. Simpson; William E. Skivington; John C. Stuller; Imlay S. Widdison; Danny L. Widner; Roy C. Williams (all missing); Julius W. Long (released POW).

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2005.

SYNOPSIS: Kham Duc Special Forces camp (A-105), was located on the western fringes of Quang Tin ("Great Faith") Province, South Vietnam. In the spring of 1968, it was the only remaining border camp in Military Region I. Backup responsibility for the camp fell on the 23rd Infantry Division (Americal), based at Chu Lai on the far side of the province.

The camp had originally been built for President Diem, who enjoyed hunting in the area. The 1st Special Forces detachment (A-727B) arrived in September 1963 and found the outpost to be an ideal border surveillance site with an existing airfield. The camp was located on a narrow grassy plain surrounded by rugged, virtually uninhabited jungle. The only village in the area, located across the airstrip, was occupied by post dependents, camp followers and merchants. The camp and airstrip were bordered by the Ngok Peng Bum ridge to the west and Ngok Pe Xar mountain, looming over Kham Duc to the east. Steep banked streams full of rapids and waterfalls cut through the tropical wilderness. The Dak Mi River flowed past the camp over a mile distant, under the shadow of the Ngok Pe Xar.
Five miles downriver was the small forward operating base of Ngok Tavak, defended by the 113-man 11th Mobile Strike Force Company with its 8 Special Forces and 3 Australian advisors. Since Ngok Tavak was outside friendly artillery range, 33 Marine artillerymen of Battery D, 2nd Battalion, 13th Marines, with two 105mm howitzers were located at the outpost
Capt. Christopher J. Silva, commander of Detachment A-105 helicoptered into Ngok Tavak on May 9, 1968 in response to growing signs of NVA presence in the area. Foul weather prevented his scheduled evening departure. A Kham Duc CIDG platoon fleeing a local ambush also arrived and was posted to the outer perimeter. It was later learned that the CIDG force contained VC infiltrators
Ngok Tavak was attacked by an NVA infantry battalion at 0315 hours on May 10. The base was pounded by mortars and direct rocket fire. As the frontal assault began, the Kham Duc CIDG soldiers moved toward the Marines in the fort yelling, "Don't shoot, don't shoot! Friendly, friendly!" Suddenly they lobbed grenades into the Marine howitzer positions and ran into the fort, where they shot several Marines with carbines and sliced claymore mine and communication wires.
The defenders suffered heavy casualties but stopped the main assault and killed the infiltrators. The NVA dug in along the hill slopes and grenaded the trenches where the mobile strike force soldiers were pinned by machine gun and rocket fire. An NVA flamethrower set the ammunition ablaze, banishing the murky flare- lighted darkness for the rest of the night. SFC Harold M. Swicegood and the USMC platoon leader, Lt. Adams, were badly wounded and moved to the command bunker. Medical Spec4 Blomgren reported that the CIDG mortar crews had abandoned their weapons. Silva tried to operate the main 4.2 inch mortar but was wounded. At about 0500 hours, Sgt. Glenn Miller, an A-105 communications specialist, was shot through the head as he ran over to join the Marine howitzer crews.
The NVA advanced across the eastern side of Ngok Tavak and brought forward more automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenade launchers. In desperation, the defenders called on USAF AC-47 "Spooky" gunships to strafe the perimeter and the howitzers, despite the possible presence of friendly wounded in the gun pits. The NVA countered with tear gas, but the wind kept drifting the gas over their own lines. After three attempts, they stopped. A grenade fight between the two forces lasted until dawn.
At daybreak Australian Warrant Officers Cameron and Lucas, joined by Blomgren, led a CIDG counterattack. The North Vietnamese pulled back under covering fire, and the howitzers were retaken. The Marines fired the last nine shells and spiked the tubes. Later that morning medical evacuation helicopters supported by covering airstrikes took out the seriously wounded, including Silva and Swicegood. Two CH46's were able to land 45 replacements from the 12th Mobile Strike Force Company, accompanied by Capt. Euge E. Makowski (who related much of this account to Shelby Stanton, author of "Green Berets at War"), but one helicopter was hit in the fuel line and forced down. Another helicopter was hit by a rocket and burst into flames, wrecking the small helipad. The remaining wounded were placed aboard a hovering helicopter. As it lifted off, two Mike Force soldiers and 1Lt. Horace Fleming, one of the stranded aviation crewmen, grabbed the helicopter skids. All three fell to their deaths after the helicopter had reached an altitude of over one hundred feet.
The mobile strike force soldiers were exhausted and nervous. Ammunition and water were nearly exhausted, and Ngok Tavak was still being pounded by sporadic mortar fire. They asked permission to evacuate their positions, but were told to "hold on" as "reinforcements were on the way". By noon the defenders decided that aerial reinforcement or evacuation was increasingly unlikely, and night would bring certain destruction. An hour later, they abandoned Ngok Tavak.
Thomas Perry, a medic from C Company, arrived at the camp at 0530 hours the morning of the 10th. He cared for the wounded and was assisting in an attempt to establish a defensive perimeter when the decision was made to evacuate the camp. As survivors were leaving, Perry was seen by Sgt. Cordell J. Matheney, Jr., standing 20 feet away, as Australian Army Capt. John White formed the withdrawal column at the outer perimeter wire on the eastern Ngok Tavak hillside. It was believed that Perry was going to join the end of the column.
All the weapons, equipment and munitions that could not be carried were hastily piled into the command bunker and set afire. The helicopter that had been grounded by a ruptured fuel line was destroyed with a LAW. Sgt. Miller's body was abandoned.
After survivors had gone about 1 kilometer, it was discovered that Perry was missing. Efforts were conducted to locate both Perry and Miller, including a search by a group from Battery D. They were searching along the perimeter when they were hit by enemy grenades and arms fire. Neither the men on the team nor Perry was ever found. Included in this team were PFC Thomas Blackman; LCpl. Joseph Cook; PFC Paul Czerwonka; LCpl. Thomas Fritsch; PFC Barry Hempel; LCpl. Raymond Heyne; Cpl. Gerald King; PFC Robert Lopez; PFC William McGonigle; LCpl. Donald Mitchell; and LCpl. James Sargent. The remaining survivors evaded through dense jungle to a helicopter pickup point midway to Kham Duc. Their extraction was completed shortly before 1900 hours on the evening of May 10.
In concert with the Ngok Tavak assault, the Kham Duc was blasted by a heavy mortar and recoilless rifle attack at 0245 hours that same morning. Periodic mortar barrages ripped into Kham Duc throughout the rest of the day, while the Americal Division airmobiled a reinforced battalion of the 196th Infantry Brigade into the compound. A Special Forces command party also landed, but the situation deteriorated too rapidly for their presence to have positive effect.
The mortar attack on fog-shrouded Kham Duc resumed on the morning of May 11. The bombardment caused heavy losses among the frightened CIDG soldiers, who fled from their trenches across open ground, seeking shelter in the bunkers. The LLDB commander remained hidden. CIDG soldiers refused orders to check the rear of the camp for possible North Vietnamese intruders. That evening the 11th and 12th Mobile Strike Force companies were airlifted to Da Nang, and half of the 137th CIDG Company from Camp Ha Thanh was airlanded in exchange.
The 1st VC Regiment, 2nd NVA Division, began closing the ring around Kham Duc during the early morning darkness of 12 May. At about 0415 to 0430 hours, the camp and outlying positions came under heavy enemy attack. Outpost #7 was assaulted and fell within a few minutes. Outposts #5, #1 and #3 had been reinforced by Americal troops but were in North Vietnamese hands by 0930 hours.
OP1 was manned by PFC Harry Coen, PFC Andrew Craven, Sgt. Joseph Simpson, and SP4 Julius Long from Company E, 2nd of the 1st Infantry. At about 0415 hours, when OP1 came under heavy enemy attack, PFC Coen and SP4 Long were seen trying to man a 106 millimeter recoilless rifle. Survivors reported that in the initial enemy fire, they were knocked off their bunker. Both men again tried to man the gun, but were knocked down again by RPG fire.
PFC Craven, along with two other men, departed the OP at 0830 hours on May 12. They moved out 50 yards and could hear the enemy in their last position. At about 1100 hours, as they were withdrawing to the battalion perimeter, they encountered an enemy position. PFC Craven was the pointman and opened fire. The enemy returned fire, and PFC Craven was seen to fall, with multiple chest wounds. The other two men were unable to recover him, and hastily departed the area. PFC Craven was last seen lying on his back, wounded, near the camp.
OP2 was being manned by 1Lt. Frederick Ransbottom, SP4 Maurice Moore, PFC Roy Williams, PFC Danny Widner, PFC William Skivington, PFC Imlay Widdison, and SP5 John Stuller, from the 2nd of the 3rd Infantry when it came under attack. Informal questioning of survivors of this position indicated that PFC Widdison and SP5 Stuller may have been killed in action. However, the questioning was not sufficiently thorough to produce enough evidence to confirm their deaths.
The only information available concerning 1Lt. Ransbottom, SP4 Moore, PFC Lloyd and PFC Skivington that Lt. Ransbottom allegedly radioed PFC Widner and PFC Williams, who were in the third bunker, and told them that he was shooting at the enemy as they entered his bunker.
SP4 Juan Jimenez, a rifleman assigned to Company A, 2nd of the 1st Infantry, was occupying a defensive position when he was severely wounded in the back by enemy mortar fire. SP4 Jimenez was declared dead by the Battalion Surgeon in the early morning hours of May 12. He was then carried to the helipad for evacuation. However, due to the situation, space was available in the helicopter for only the wounded, and SP4 Jimenez'remains were left behind.
At noon a massive NVA attack was launched against the main compound. The charge was stopped by planes hurling napalm, cluster bomb units and 750 pound bombs into the final wire barriers. The decision was made by the Americal Division officers to call for immediate extraction.
The evacuation was disorderly, and at times, on the verge of complete panic. One of the first extraction helicopters to land was exploded by enemy fire, blocking the airstrip. Engineers of Company A, 70th Engineer Battalion, frantically reassembled one of their dozers (previously torn apart to prevent capture) to clear the runway. Eight more aircraft were blown out of the sky.
PFC Richard E. Sands was a member of Company A, 1st Battalion, 46th Infantry, 198th Light Infantry Brigade being extracted on a CH47 helicopter (serial #67-18475). The helicopter was hit by 50 calliber machine gun fire at an altitude of 1500-1600 feet shortly after takeoff.
Sands, who was sitting near the door gunner, was hit in the head by an incoming rounds. The helicopter made a controlled landing and caught fire. During the evacuation from the burning helicopter, four personnel and a medic checked PFC Sands and indicated that he had been killed instantly. Because of the danger of incoming mortar rounds and the fire, personnel attempting to remove PFC Sands from the helicopter were ordered to abandon their attempt. The remaining personnel were evacuated from the area later by another helicopter.
Intense antiaircraft fire from the captured outposts caused grave problems. Control over the indigenous forces was difficult. One group of CIDG soldiers had to be held in trenches at gunpoint to prevent them from mobbing the runway.
As evacuation was in progress, members of Company A, 1/46, who insisted on boarding the aircraft first, shoved Vietnamese dependents out of the way. As more Americal infantry tried to clamber into the outbound planes, the outraged Special Forces staff convinced the Air Force to start loading civilians onboard a C130, then watched as the civilians pushed children and weaker adults aside.
The crew of the U.S. Air Force C130 aircraft (serial #60-0297) consisted of Maj. Bernard Bucher, pilot; SSgt. Frank Hepler, flight engineer; Maj. John McElroy, navigator; 1Lt. Steven Moreland, co-pilot; George Long, load master; Capt. Warren Orr, passenger, and an undetermined number of Vietnamese civilians.
The aircraft reported receiving ground fire on takeoff. The Forward Air Control (FAC) in the area reported that the aircraft exploded in mid-air and crashed in a fire ball about one mile from camp. All crew and passengers were believed dead, as the plane burned quickly and was completely destroyed except for the tail boom. No remains were recovered from the aircraft.
Capt. Orr was not positively identified by U.S. personnel as being aboard the aircraft. He was last seen near the aircraft helping the civilians to board. However, a Vietnamese stated that he had seen Capt. Orr board the aircraft and later positively identified him from a photograph. Rescue efforts were impossible because of the hostile threat in the area.
At the time the order was given to escape and evade, SP4 Julius Long was was with Coen and Simpson. All three had been wounded, and were trying to make their way back to the airfield about 350 yards away. As they reached the airfield, they saw the last C130 departing. PFC Coen, who was shot in the stomach, panicked and started running and shooting his weapon at random. SP4 Long tried to catch him, but could not, and did not see PFC Coen again. Long then carried Sgt. Simpson to a nearby hill, where they spent the night.
During the night, the airfield was strafed and bombed by U.S. aircraft. SP4 Long was hit twice in the back by fragments, and Sgt. Simpson died during the night. SP4 Long left him lying on the hill near the Cam Duc airfield and started his escape and evasion toward Chu Lai, South Vietnam. SP4 Long was captured and was released in 1973 from North Vietnam.
The Special Forces command group was the last organized group out of the camp. As their helicopter soared into the clouds, Kham Duc was abandoned to advancing NVA infantry at 4:33 p.m. on May 12, 1968. The last Special Forces camp on the northwestern frontier of South Vietnam had been destroyed.
Two search and recovery operations were conducted in the vicinity of OP1 and OP2 and the Cam Duc airfield on July 18, 1970 and August 17, 1970. In these operations, remains of personnel previously reported missing from this incident were recovered and subsequently identified. (SP4 Bowers, PFC Lloyd, Sgt. Sisk, PFC Guzman-Rios and SSgt. Carter). However, extensive search and excavation could not be completed at OP1 and OP2 because of the tactical situation.
It was assumed that all the missing at Kham Duc were killed in action until about 1983, when the father of one of the men missing discovered a Marine Corps document which indicated that four of the men had been taken prisoner. The document listed the four by name. Until then, the families had not been advised of the possibility there were any American prisoners taken other than Julius Long. A Vietnamese rallier identified the photograph of Roy C. Williams as positively having been a POW.
Until proof is obtained that the rest of the men lost at Ngok Tavak and Kham Duc are dead, their families will always wonder if they are among those said to still be alive in Southeast Asia.
N.M. Soldier's Remains Found
Miguel Navrot
Albuquerque Journal
July 9, 2005
Albuquerque man was killed in Vietnam War 37 years ago
In 1967, a Rio Grande High School senior with a love for fast cars and
dreams of flying approached a Marine recruiter seeking career help.
Robert Lopez didn't learn to fly. Following boot camp, the Marines sent him
to artillery school.
A year after graduating from Rio Grande, on a hill near the North Vietnam
border, Lopez was killed in combat and his body left on the battlefield.
For 37 years, he was presumed killed in action and was among the 1,800
American soldiers unaccounted for in Southeast Asia.
Until two weeks ago, when his remains were identified as part of an effort
to repatriate the remains of U.S. troops killed there.
Margaret Coplen, Lopez's older sister, said government officials notified
the family that the remains of Pfc. Robert Lopez and 11 others killed in a
battle May 10, 1968, had been identified.
"They were all in shock," Coplen said of her parents' reaction to the news.
Coplen said she spent years quietly tracking details of her brother's fate,
not informing her parents what she was up to.
"I was stunned, too, but they were even more so."
Thirty years after the last Americans evacuated Saigon, Vietnam and the
United States continue their cooperation to repatriate the remains of
service members killed there.
Lopez's remains were discovered, but not identified, in late 1999 along with
others from his platoon. He was assigned to an artillery group, Battery D,
2nd Battalion, 13th Marines of the 1st Marine Division.
Getting an excavation at the site took some urging from Vietnam Veterans of
America and other advocates, as the government's official record of the
battle wasn't accurate, said fellow platoon member Tim Brown of Dallas.
Brown said he was medically evacuated the day before Lopez and the others
were killed. Since then, he has wanted the record corrected about what
happened near the border with North Vietnam.
"There was some misinformation that originated with the fate of these
Marines that I served with," Brown said Thursday.
In convincing the U.S. government that it had incorrect information about
the battlefield's location, Vietnam Veterans of America used recollections
from surviving participants.
It was a difficult process, said Bill Duker of Vietnam Veterans of America.
"This is absolutely incredible," Duker said of the discovery and excavation.
The area searched was as large as three football fields and was in a remote
part of the country still littered with ordnance, Coplen said.
Vietnam's jungle climate and acidic soil accelerates the decaying process of
remains, Duker said. After decades, teeth are the only forensic remains left
to unearth.
Recovery crews also try to use metal dog tags, weapons, uniform insignia and
other clues to help piece together the identity.
A repatriation burial for Lopez and others is planned for October at
Arlington, Va., said Coplen. Later this month, she said she and the family
are preparing to examine photographs of the excavated remains and artifacts.
Coplen last heard from her younger brother a few days after the military
informed the family of their loss.
Robert Lopez wrote his sister May 1, Coplen's birthday. He was killed May
10, and his letter arrived about a week later.
Along with birthday wishes, Lopez wrote that he had been able to squeeze in
a bath -- in a nearby river.
"He said he at least felt he was halfway clean," Coplen said Thursday. "It
was in a river, so he said when he came out, he was covered with leeches. I
was just crying when I had read that."
In a March 1968 letter to his sister -- two months before he was killed --
Lopez said he feared he was headed to North Vietnam. He didn't want that
news shared with their parents for fear of worrying them, Coplen said.
"He wrote, 'Do not tell the folks. You hear?' '' Coplen recalled.
Robert Lopez was missing in Viet Nam for 37 yrs. His parents are going to
have a memorial service for him on August 5 at The Lady of the Assumption
Church located at the corner of Lomas and Tennesse. Time is at 5:30 pm.
The funeral and burial will be at Arlington on October the 7th, 2005.
NEWS RELEASE from the United States Department of Defense
No. 820-05
Aug 10, 2005
Media Contact: (703)697-5131
Public/Industry Contact: (703)428-0711
Twelve MIAS from Vietnam War are Identified
The Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) announced
today the identification of the remains of 12 U.S. servicemen missing in
action from the Vietnam War.  Five of those identified are being returned to
their families for burial, and the remaining seven will be buried as a group
in Arlington National Cemetery, near Washington, D.C.
The men who were individually identified are: Cpl. Gerald E. King, of
Knoxville, Tenn.; Lance Cpls. Joseph F. Cook, of Foxboro, Mass.; Raymond T.
Heyne, of Mason, Wis.; Donald W. Mitchell, of Princeton, Ky.; and Thomas W.
Fritsch, of Cromwell, Conn., all of the U.S. Marine Corps.  Additional group
remains are those of: Pfcs. Thomas J. Blackman, of Racine, Wis.; Paul S.
Czerwonka, of Stoughton, Mass.; Barry L. Hempel, of Garden Grove, Calif.;
Robert C. Lopez, of Albuquerque, N.M.; William D. McGonigle, of Wichita,
Kan.; and Lance Cpl. James R. Sargent, of Anawalt, W. Va., all of the U.S.
Marine Corps.   Additionally, the remains of U.S. Army Sgt. Glenn E. Miller,
of Oakland, Calif. will be included in the group burial.
The Marines were part of an artillery platoon airlifted to provide support
to the 11th Mobile Strike Force, which was under threat of attack from North
Vietnamese forces near Kham Duc in South Vietnam.  On May 9, 1968, the
Strike Force had been directed to reconnoiter an area known as Little Ngok
Tavak Hill near the Laos-Vietnam border, in the Kham Duc Province.  Their
base came under attack by North Vietnamese Army troops, and after a 10-hour
battle, all of the survivors were able to withdraw from the area.
Six investigations beginning in 1993 and a series of interviews of villagers
and former Vietnamese soldiers led U.S. recovery teams in 1994, 1997 and
1998 to specific defensive positions within the large battle site.
Additionally, maps provided by American survivors helped to locate some key
areas on the battlefield.  Three excavations by the Joint POW/MIA Accounting
Command (JPAC) in 1998 and 1999 yielded human remains, personal effects and
other material evidence.
JPAC scientists and Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory specialists
used mitochondrial DNA as one of the forensic tools to help identify the
Of the 88,000 Americans missing in action from all conflicts, 1,815 are from
the Vietnam War, with 1,381 of those within the country of Vietnam.  Another
768 Americans have been accounted for in Southeast Asia since the end of the
war. Of those, 540 are from within Vietnam.
For additional information on the Defense Department's mission to account
for missing Americans, visit the DPMO Web site at
or call (703) 699-1169.


Please go back to the main page and write your letters.


Thanks to Ron Fleischer.

"All Biographical and loss information on POWs provided by Operation Just Cause have been supplied by Chuck and Mary Schantag of POWNET. Please check with POWNET regularly for updates."


You can make a difference too!

Animated Flags by The Animation Factory.

email me here
Web Master 




This site is hosted by Mystic Technologies/Inetking Internet Service

Since September 28, 1998.
This page last updated July 21, 2013

Warning to Spammers. All spam is monitored by spamcop and reported to to the proper authorities. It is wise that you first see what this site is about and respect the families and the men and women of the US Military that have fought and died for your rights. This is not a business site and the mailing address for this site is for the use of family and friends of these brave soldiers.